A Guide to Healthcare Risk Management Planning
Sample Risk Management Plan and Template
We created an example of a healthcare risk management plan using the steps and structure shown in the chapter, “How Do You Create a Risk Management Plan?.” We set this up as a chart so each risk prevention plan and reaction process can be seen in an organized layout.
Healthcare Risk Management Planning: Step 1
Refresher: The first step to creating a risk management plan is to establish a formal document that describes your plan in detail. Ideally, the document will include the following information:
- Organization Name:
- Organization Location:
- Plan’s Purpose:
- Example: "To create the safest environment for our patients, staff, and visitors by identifying, assessing, responding to, and learning from risks."
- Our Organization’s Mission Statement:
- Example: "To provide compassionate, high-quality care to the community. To treat and care for all patients and their guests as if they were our family. To educate healthcare professionals and pursue research efforts to achieve higher rates of prevention and cures."
- Name of Risk Manager(s):
- Names of Organization’s Leaders:
- Person(s) Designated for Communicating Information About Possible Risks or Actual Events:
- How Information Will Be Communicated:
- Example: "Meeting to be held by June 10, with quarterly training sessions as follow-up. Determine which staff members will communicate information to and from staff and all involved in an event. This can be a risk manager, unit, or departmental managers, or other designees as appointed by the organization’ leadership. Schedule ongoing training for staff as appropriate to your organization to discuss current risk management strategies."
Healthcare Risk Management Planning: Steps 2 - 5
Once you've created your official risk management plan document, you'll then need to follow the following steps:
- Step 2: Identifying the actual/potential risks
- Step 3: Analyzing the risk
- Step 4: Planning your team's responses to the risk
- Step 5: Planning how your team will manage the risk
Once you've compiled this information, it's time to put it all together. Here's an example of how your risk management plan could look:
Steps 2-5: Identify, Analyze, Respond & Manage Risk
The views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Berxi™ or Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Company. This article (subject to change without notice) is for informational purposes only, and does not constitute professional advice.