Careers at Berxi
We want to change the way people think about insurance. You can help us get there.
At Berxi, we believe that we can make buying and managing insurance an easy, friendly, comforting, and even enjoyable experience, and we’re looking to grow the team that will help us on that journey.
We are a fast-growing, entrepreneurial venture within Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance. We set out to build a modern, customer-focused, digital platform to upend the traditional insurance market and help professionals and small businesses buy and manage insurance smarter and faster – all of which saves them time and money.
We’re building a team devoted to the task. We’re looking for people that show both an ability to excel, a depth of character, and a desire to “show up.” We want people who want to do the heavy lifting — and find the unprecedented opportunities that creates.
Currently, we have the following job openings available:
- Customer Service Representative
- Director of Business Intelligence & Data Warehouse
- Creative Director
Take a look at the job descriptions below to see if there's a good fit for you.
Business Intelligence & Data Warehouse Director
As a member of the Berxi leadership team, we are seeking an individual with a strong business intelligence background to lead our Analytics Platform Engineering team out of our Boston, MA office. In this position, you will be responsible for defining and leading the execution of our business intelligence and data warehouse roadmap. We are looking for a candidate with extensive business intelligence experience in a high-growth environment. A passion for data is essential, and experience with the insurance industry and/or experience with direct-to-consumer digital business is required. This role requires a forward-thinking individual, who will take a proactive problem-solving approach to our stakeholders needs and combine that with a strong vision for our next challenges and what is possible.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter capable of defining a long-term vision, roadmap and strategy for our Data Platforms. They will lead a cross-functional team to deliver against key priorities, that supports both analytics platform and team maturity as well as aligning to the Berxi and BHSI’s overarching strategies and approach. Most of all, they want to be part of an outstanding team that’s at the core of providing data and analytics solutions that support the growth of our direct-to-consumer insurance platform.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Define the roadmap, strategy, and forward-facing plans for the Analytics Platform Engineering Team
- Identify areas of opportunity for new tools, automation, process improvements to deliver value from our data projects
- Support the growth and development of a highly talented, inclusive, collaborative and diverse team
- Collaborate with Berxi’s leadership team to support the planning, execution and delivery of data analytics platform features and vision
- Provide timely project updates to our stakeholders and other internal groups
- Maintain visibility and connection to the current state of the Business Intelligence and Data Management space and proactively bring new ideas, processes, and tools that will further enhance our customers’ experience
Qualifications, Skills, & Experience
- 10+ years of experience with strong foundational knowledge of core BI skills, technical architecture, platform administration, data transformation, and analytics/reporting tools
- 3+ years defining and delivering BI solutions using cloud-based platforms (Azure, AWS, Snowflake)
- 5+ years of leading cross functional teams and ability to motivate and inspire teams through the successful delivery of projects and solutions
- Experience with the insurance industry and/or experience with direct-to-consumer digital business is required
- Exposure to the practical application of analytical, predictive, and data science concepts
- Experience with agile methodologies
- Ability to rapidly understand business challenges and guide conversation to solution focused discussions
- Hands-on style with strong problem-solving abilities and keen attention to detail
- Outstanding organization and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to communicate across all customer levels from Analyst to C-suite
- Ability to clearly demonstrate visual approach to prioritization, that allows for transparent and consistent decision making
Does this sound like you? You can learn more about the director of business intelligence and data warehouse on the BHSI website.
The Creative Director is the leader of a small, but growing team and is responsible for the overall quality and consistency of all creative and design projects within the Berxi brand. This role requires attention to creative output, as well as a strong understanding of operations. While having the skills to design well (on your own) is an important quality in a creative leader, we’re looking for a teammate that can effectively take stock and know when to delegate or when to jump in.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Working with the Director of Marketing, help shape Berxi’s overall brand, creative and campaign strategy
- Serve as the team’s creative leader; continuously drive creative and operational excellence across the team, optimizing ways of working and ensuring strategic alignment to maximize the business value of all creative deliverables
- Oversee the end-to-end creative process — from concept to production — across all Berxi’s creative needs (including website, landing pages, presentations, collateral, digital and print advertising, email, photography, video, social media and events of all sizes) and serve as the central lens monitoring all expressions of the brand to ensure a consistent and effective representation of Berxi in the market
- Working with stakeholders across the organization (along with external partners), offer insight and strategic input to help identify campaigns and collateral needed to meet business goals
- Ensure Berxi is represented in-market with design that is thoughtful, effective and beautiful by being a champion of design, problem-solving and communication
- Manage the Product Design team to ensure the digital product expresses the brand effectively through visuals, correct tone of voice and overall customer experience
- Prioritize work and provide strategic input; Effectively collaborate across teams to get the greatest leverage, quality and output
- Working with the Manager of Creative Operations, develop processes and standards across Creative and Marketing teams, including planning, project management platform use, server organization and software/hardware selection
- Work with outside agencies to ensure the brand maintains consistency and relevance in our current markets, as well as new markets as the business expands
- Lead the growth of a top-notch design team and identify and select both vendor and agency partners where needed
- Hire, manage and cultivate the career development of team members, including product designers, graphic designers, art directors, copywriters, photographers, web developers and interns/co-ops
Qualifications, Skills, & Experience
- 5+ years’ experience as a senior creative director or comparable role
- Proven experience managing a team
- Be highly organized, with the ability to shift gears quickly and frequently
- Expertise working with design files (and manage projects) for both print and digital needs
- Handle final production on print and digital projects
- Understanding of UI/UX and how to effectively apply a brand to digital products
- Guide, refine and edit copy for meaning, tone and brand consistency
- The ability to be your own project manager: prioritize, communicate, delegate, deliver
- Coordinate — and collaborate — with outside agencies and vendors
- Provide clear, direct input to both internal and external writers, creatives and production vendors
- Estimate the hours/dollars involved in a project
- Effectively work and communicate with teammates within a project management platform
- In-house creative leadership experience highly preferred
- Be an expert communicator, both in person and written
- Desire to work in a fast-paced start-up team environment
__Does this sound like you? You can learn more about the creative director role on the BHSI website.
Customer Service Representative
You will provide exceptional service to existing Berxi customers, and prospective customers, and drive growth through voice, chat, and email. We’re looking for problem solvers who are advocates for our customers and the Berxi brand. Product Specialists contribute directly to improving the Berxi experience by providing ongoing Voice of Customer and user experience feedback to Berxi’s Product, Marketing, and Underwriting teams.
You will be part of a team that is focused on exceeding customer expectations and helping build the Berxi business. We don’t obsess over average call handle time; instead, we focus on doing the right thing for the customer. We empower you to solve the customer’s problem on the first interaction while delivering a personal, empathetic experience. We are looking for intelligent, customer focused individuals looking to do something different in insurance.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Educate and assist customers and prospects directly through a variety of channels, including voice, chat, and email.
- Guide customers on insurance products and coverages based on their individual needs.
- Become an expert in the small commercial insurance space, including but not limited to, professional liability and medical malpractice products.
- Drive customer experience improvements by continuously surfacing Voice of Customer feedback and operational enhancements across the Berxi team.
- Make outbound communications to obtain policy and account information.
- Must be able to work the hours of 8AM-4:30PM, 9AM-6PM, or 11AM- 8 PM.
Qualifications, Skills, & Experience:
- Comfortable with ambiguity and adaptable to change.
- Ability to learn, understand and explain insurance policy concepts and products.
- A problem solver that constructively questions processes and procedures.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong organization and time management skills; ability to prioritize and manage multiple activities in tandem.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Proficient working knowledge of Microsoft Office products, including MS Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Adaptability to varying customer personality types and situations.
- Eager to work in a collaborative, fast-paced, start-up team environment.
- Background in working directly with customers is required. Insurance experience is a plus, but not required.
- Property and Casualty License is preferred, but not required. If not already licensed, you will be required to become a Licensed Insurance Agent upon joining the team (costs will be covered by Berxi).
- Interest in providing customer support via social media is preferable, but not required.
Does this sound like you? You can learn more about the customer service representative role on the BHSI website.