Careers at Berxi
We want to change the way people think about insurance. You can help us get there.
At Berxi, we believe that we can make buying and managing insurance an easy, friendly, comforting, and even enjoyable experience, and we’re looking to grow the team that will help us on that journey.
We are a fast-growing, entrepreneurial venture within Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance. We set out to build a modern, customer-focused, digital platform to upend the traditional insurance market and help professionals and small businesses buy and manage insurance smarter and faster – all of which saves them time and money.
We’re building a team devoted to the task. We’re looking for people that show both an ability to excel, a depth of character, and a desire to “show up.” We want people who want to do the heavy lifting — and find the unprecedented opportunities that creates.
Currently, we have the following job openings available:
Business Development Manager, Outbound Sales
Berxi (www.berxi.com) is a fast-growing ‘start-up’ business unit within Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI). We are on a mission to build a modern, customer-focused, and entirely digital platform to help small businesses buy and manage their insurance smarter and faster, saving them time and money along the way.
Through a variety of sales tactics, including phone and email, the Business Development Manager, Outbound Sales will support the growth of Berxi’s customer segments and insurance products across the entire platform.
Duties & Responsibilities
- In the role, you will be provided with qualified leads and opportunities to pursue from various sources (both internal and external).
- When calling on those leads and opportunities, you will be aiming to build rapport quickly and speak to the insurance ‘decision maker’ (often the business owner, or someone who works closely with the business owner to manage the company’s insurance needs) through a consultative sales approach.
- You will be expected to understand and articulate Berxi’s (and BHSI’s) brand, value-proposition, and key differentiators to all interested parties.
- You will be empowered with appropriate sales and marketing collateral, as well as cloud-based productivity tools, that will allow you to provide relevant and timely information to customers as you learn more about their business insurance wants and needs.
- Given the role is focused on helping us find and acquire new customers, the goal from your conversations will be to ultimately have a prospective customer complete an application that could lead to a policy being purchased (i.e., a ‘bound’ policy).
- You will be working within an entirely digital, cloud-based system – which is effectively the same experience that any potential customers you’re engaging would also be interacting with directly if they chose to do so.
- You are expected to engage in 5-10 meaningful transactional conversations per day.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- 0-3 years of experience in a sales or business development role.
- Passion for leveraging technology to deliver a better insurance experience to customers.
- Problem solver who is an advocate for our customers and the Berxi brand.
- Self-starter who is comfortable operating with some ambiguity in their day-to-day, as there’s lot of work to be done and limited resources to do it.
- Excitement around living the ups and downs that come with working in a fast-paced, start-up environment.
- Positive attitude and willingness to receive, and incorporate, feedback.
- Comfort interacting with teammates including senior management.
- An active Property & Casualty License in at least one state is preferred; without one, a candidate will be expected to have a willingness to study and pass all exams toward earning an active Property & Casualty License (fully supported by BHSI).
Does this sound like you? You can learn more about the business development manager, outbound sales on the BHSI website.
Creative Operations Manager
We’re looking for a Creative Project Manager who will play a critical role in the organization of Berxi’s creative work interfacing with stakeholders, internal creative, and external resources for the execution of omnichannel marketing campaigns.
Orchestrating the creative development process, this role establishes best practices and processes, creates efficient resourcing, and facilitates the execution of Marketing creative projects through unified workflows for both internal and external teams. Partnering with the Creative Director, this role assigns resources based on project needs, team skill sets, budgets, and timing. You will manage project schedules, help prioritize efforts, and keep the team apprised of project status, next steps, dependencies, and forecasting.
Solution-oriented, this role is a pivotal connector role between creative and all other functions in and outside the organization. You will build relationships with stakeholders across the team to nail down sequencing, production, and approvals to help ensure the proper execution of integrated marketing campaigns. The ideal candidate would describe themselves as an organized self-starter who is curious about how things work and eager to find ways to make them more effective and efficient.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Partner with Creative Director, Marketing Team, and Partnership team to manage creative requests, scheduling, storage, and distribution of creative assets to facilitate campaigns.
- Spearhead project management for creative development, as you effectively track and communicate prioritization, project goals, constraints, deliverables, and schedules within a cross-functional team.
- Solve problems proactively and performs risk management to minimize project risks, including stakeholder approvals.
- Collaborate with Creative Director and stakeholders to develop detailed briefs and clarify specific requirements of each project; discover and close information gaps, and ensure information is complete and accurate to incorporate into Wrike (our project management platform).
- Manage the creative production process, from concept to completion, ensuring assets (print, digital, content) are developed to a high standard within appropriate timelines.
- Allocate and manage internal resources with direction from Creative Director and Marketing Team based on skill set and availability.
- Champion the proper use and organization of all files and assets to appropriate platform/s to ensure data are accessible and easy to find for users.
- Create and maintain comprehensive project documentation and file management, including tracking licenses for film, photos, and music stock and releases for original artwork.
- When required, manage the team to meet budgetary objectives and adjust project constraints.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- 7-10 years’ experience, including 5+ years of advertising agency project management experience.
- Expert in cross-functional collaboration, project management, prioritization tracking, and budget tracking.
- Excellent organizational skills including attention to detail and ability to multitask.
- Strong leadership and diplomacy proficiencies.
- Outstanding relationship-building skills with experience connecting across teams and functions in an organization.
- Proven success working in project management for omnichannel campaigns (print, digital, websites, broadcast, etc.)
- Comfortable working with and coordinating internal and external teams.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional listener.
- Expertise of project management software and platforms. Wrike experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s in liberal arts, Communications, Marketing, or equivalent; PMP-certification a plus.
Does this sound like you? You can learn more about the creative operations manager on the BHSI website.
Berxi has an exciting opportunity for a DevOps Engineer to join its Platform Engineering team in Boston, MA to support the development and enhancement of our cutting-edge direct to consumer platform. The DevOps Engineer will work collaboratively to improve our code repository as well as the build, deployment, and test phases of our software development life cycle. As a DevOps Engineer, you will meet with Engineering leads to oversee code releases, combining an understanding of both the engineering and coding involved in delivering high quality digital insurance products utilizing AWS cloud. The ideal candidate will help anticipate problems with suggested hardware and software components, researching to provide performance friendly, security-focused solutions to Engineering teams to support scaling and acceleration of delivery process.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with other technical resources to automate and improve development and release processes, enhance existing CI/CD pipelines, and increase release frequency to support speed to market initiatives
- Evaluate, select, deploy, and manage appropriate CI/CD tools
- Implement changes to existing package, build and deploy steps to accommodate Engineering team growth and platform scaling
- Create detailed documentation for pre and post installation/upgrade steps to provide both direction and feedback
- Maintain existing software systems and assist development teams with troubleshooting and issue resolution with respect to the infrastructure related code bugs
- Communicate with multiple technical teams to ensure best practices are followed for system wide success
- Understand product requirementsand participate in architecture and software development activities
- Manage expectations of internal stakeholders and external interfaces
- Encourage and build automated processes wherever possible
- Identify and deploy cybersecurity measures by continuously performing vulnerability assessment and risk management
- Coordinate and communicate within the team and with end-users
- Mentor and guide other team members
- Monitor and measure performance across services, service to service communication, customer experience and KPIs
- Provide periodic reporting on agreed upon metrics to the team leadership
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience:
- Experience working with a Linux based infrastructure
- Expertise in providing, supporting, and managing AWS cloud infrastructure using Infrastructure as Code
- Experience with networking, security, and working with server & serverless technologies on an AWS cloud (working knowledge of CloudFront, S3, Lambda, DynamoDB, RDS, ECS, Fargate, SNS, and SQS preferred)
- Experience with modern CI/CD pipeline tools such as GitHub Actions or CircleCI
- Experience in using Cloud based Logging and monitoring tools like Datadog.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with a keen sense of the customer service mindset, adept at working with distributed IT teams
- Excellent problem-solving, troubleshooting and documentation skills
- Knowledge of best practices and IT operations in an always-up, always-available and reliable service
- Experience with or knowledge of DevOps culture and Agile Software Development methodologies
- Bachelor’s/University degree
Does this sound like you? You can learn more about the devops engineer on the BHSI website.
We’re seeking a Digital Designer to help us build a strong brand and create exceptional digital experiences.
Be a part of a team building Berxi as a distinctive and trusted brand that supports professionals and small business. Day-to-day tasks will vary but may include partnering with the content team to develop an info-graphic for an article, animating html5 banner ads that our brand agency mocked up, brainstorming with the creative director on a brand campaign, or building out a series of HTML emails for our newsletter in Listrak.
Collaborate with internal and external teams to create a variety of communication assets to support marketing and business goals through execution of marketing campaigns, template development, content creation, and hands-on production. Creative problem solving, collaboration, and time management skills are necessary for the success of this role.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about design/marketing, have a curious mindset, and be customer-focused. You’ll also have hands-on experience working in CMS platforms (like Contentful and Builder.io), Figma, Listrak, and Adobe Creative Suite to produce on-brand attention grabbing creative that achieves Berxi’s goals.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Partner with Creative Director, Project Manager, Marketing Team, and Partnership team to develop & design creative campaigns assets to support brand strategy and marketing objectives.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to develop design solutions that solve customer problems and business goals.
- Communicate concepts through sketches, wireframes, comps/mockups, and interactive prototypes as needed.
- Support the conception, creation, design, development, and production of digital assets (site pages, assets, landing pages, emails, digital ads/banners, paid/organic social, and animations). Includes file management and asset delivery. Support the team in creating conceptual and presentation assets.
- Leverage a digital and mobile-first mindset in design and design assets.
- Ensure design and all assets are delivered on time, to spec, on brief and brand.
- Provide a level of excellence in all creative work designed and executed to ensure consistency and cohesiveness.
- Present work directly to key partners, taking ownership of work, feedback, and bringing innovative solutions to the table.
- Stay abreast of industry trends, technologies, and developments in the creative and design field and implement them when appropriate.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- 4-6 years of experience in digital design, web design, advertising, or equivalent.
- Portfolio showcasing previous experience and ability to solve business problems using creativity and design. Your portfolio will be assessed on creative excellence, storytelling, problem-solving, and technical skill.
- Experience in concepting, designing, and developing display ads, emails, and websites/landing pages.
- Ability to think in campaigns (creative strategy) and tactics (execution)
- Software fluency in the latest digital programs and tools: Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, After Effects), Figma, etc.
- Understanding of the capabilities and best practices relating to the use of front-end web technologies.
- Familiarity with project management software to manage workload.
- Excellent organizational abilities including attention to detail and ability to multitask and prioritize assignments.
- Exceptional teamwork skills.
- Thrives in an evolving environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, effective listener.
- Major in Digital Design, Graphic Design, Communications, Marketing, or Design equivalent preferred.
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Does this sound like you? You can learn more about the digital designer on the BHSI website.
Berxi has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Engineer to join its Platform Engineering team in Boston, MA to support the development and enhancement of our cutting-edge direct to consumer platform. You will be an integral member of the engineering team working with Product, Marketing, Data, and Customer Experience to help deliver a first in class insurance platform. The ideal candidate will help anticipate problems with suggested software components, researching to provide performance friendly, security-focused solutions. Our objective is to accelerate the delivery process to meet our business objectives all while supporting the Software Development Life Cycle “SDLC” process.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work alongside Product and Technology leads to design and develop solutions that support the Berxi product roadmap
- Work across teams to develop an understanding of new features
- Contribute to the maintenance and support of all production systems
- Participate in the planning activities for new features
- Provide mentorship and guidance to other engineers on the team
- Participate in code reviews
- Research new technologies as required
- Support and participate in our Agile software development process
- Manage the project execution for assigned technical initiatives
- Develop appropriate flowcharts, documentation, etc. to help drive requirements and solutions
- Program well designed, efficient, testable code
- Troubleshoot, debug and upgrade existing systems
- Oversee and coordinate development efforts of 2-3 engineers
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- 3-5 years’ experience developing solutions using Golang, Ruby on Rails, Java or similar
- Experience with cloud native solutions built on AWS, Azure or similar
- Experience in building/designing systems using microservice architectural patterns
- Proficient understanding of web markup, including HTML5 and CSS3
- Experience using relevant tool suites including Jira, GitHub, CircleCi or similar
- Understanding of software development best practices, including Agile methodologies
- Experience leading small cross functional teams (Analyst, Engineer, QA) is a plus
Does this sound like you? You can learn more about the senior engineer on the BHSI website.