Frequently Asked Questions
Learning About Berxi
What products does Berxi offer?
• Medical Malpractice Insurance
• Dental Malpractice Insurance
• Errors & Omissions Insurance
What is Berxi’s financial rating?
Berxi has market-leading insurance from an A++ rated carrier.
Berxi is part of Berkshire Hathaway’s National Indemnity group of insurance companies, consisting of National Indemnity and its affiliates, which hold financial strength ratings of A++ from AM Best and AA+ from Standard & Poor’s.
This means we are financially strong and stable, so you can trust we can be part of your possible now – and in the future.
Managing Your Account
I just became a Berxi customer. What can I do in my online account?
First off, welcome to Berxi! We're excited to start working with you. Below, you'll find step-by-step instructions for accessing your online account so you can take care of everything right from there. If you're more of a visual learner, we've also provided a tutorial video that'll walk you through the entire process.
Again, welcome aboard, and thank you for choosing us as your insurance provider. We know you have lots of options, so we're thrilled that you've decided to partner with us to protect your career or business. We'll work hard to make your experience as easy as possible.
How to Access Your New Berxi Account:
- Go to www.berxi.com.
- Click the "Sign In" button in the top right-hand corner of your screen.
- Log in using the email address (i.e., your username) and password you used to create the account.
Once you’re in your account, you’ll be able to:
- Review your account details anytime
- Get proof of your insurance coverage
- Access your policy documents, which outline your coverage details
- Update your payment method and account information
- Submit a notice of an incident or claim
We hope this quick intro was helpful! If you still have more questions, make sure to check out the rest of our FAQs, or you can send us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I download my policy documents?
Here's how to download your policy documents:
- Visit www.berxi.com.
- Click "Sign In."
- Log in using your username (i.e., your email) and your password.
- Under the "Policy Management" tab, select "Access your policy documents and buy additional coverage."
- Select "Download Policy PDF."
- Your policy PDF will download for you to open and view.
If you have any questions or need any help, feel free to reach out to our product specialist team by email at email@example.com.
How do I get my certificate of insurance/proof of coverage documents?
You may be asked by an employer or other third party to provide proof of your insurance coverage. Below, you'll find step-by-step instructions for how to generate and download your certificate of insurance — all from your Berxi account.
How to Download Your Certificate of Insurance:
- Visit www.berxi.com.
- Click "Sign In."
- Log in using your email address (i.e., your username) and your password.
- Select "Proof of Insurance."
- Select your policy and review your information.
- Click "Download."
How to Add a Certificate Holder to Your Certificate of Insurance:
- Click "Add a Certificate Holder."
- Enter the name of the person or business to whom you're giving the certificate/who is requesting proof of your coverage.
- Make sure you've filled in all fields (i.e., "Name" and "Associated Address").
- Click "Download with Certificate Holder."
And voilà! Once you've followed these steps, you will have a certificate of insurance that you can save, print, and send to the requester.
If you have any questions, or if you’d like to have a product specialist assist you with downloading your certificate of insurance, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the requester's information and we'll send you the certificate once we're back in the office.
I forgot the password to my Berxi account. How do I reset it?
Forgot your password? Don't worry: it happens to us all the time! Below, you'll find step-by-step instructions for how to reset your password.
How to Reset the Password for Your Berxi Account:
- First, go to www.berxi.com.
- Click the "Sign In" button in the top right-hand corner of your screen.
- Once you're on the "Sign In" page, click on the "set or reset your password" link, located to the right of the "Sign In" button.
- Enter the email address that's linked to your Berxi account and hit "send link."
- Make sure to close any extra tabs or windows in your browser that have berxi.com open.
- Log in to your email account and look for a confirmation email from email@example.com with the subject line, "Forgot your Berxi password?"
- Open the email and click the link inside.
- You should be taken to a page on berxi.com where you can enter your new password.
- When creating your new password, make sure that it has a minimum of 8 characters and contains at least one (1) of each of the following: an upper-case letter; a lower-case letter; a number; and a symbol.
- Once you've come up with your new password, enter it in the first box and then re-enter it in the second box to confirm.
- Click "Submit New Password."
- You should be taken to the "Account Details" page, where you can update any of your account details, obtain your documents, and manage your policy.
How do I update my payment method?
If you need to change the payment method tied to your Berxi policy or resolve a failed payment, we've got you covered. Below, you'll find step-by-step instructions for how to handle both issues. If you're more of a visual learner, we've also provided a video that'll walk you through both processes.
Here's how to update your payment method:
- First, log in to your account at www.berxi.com. This should take you to your account homepage.
- Navigate to the "Account Details" section and click on the 3rd option on that list: "Update your payment method." This should take you to the "My Payment Information" page.
- You should see a box that contains all the payment information associated with your account. Click on the blue "Edit" button that's located in the right-hand corner of that box. This will take you to the "Billing Information" page.
- Make whatever changes you need to make, including updating your payment method and/or the billing address associated with that card.
- Click "Update" when you're done updating your information.
- This should prompt a confirmation message box to appear. Click "Proceed" to save any changes you've made, or hit "Cancel" if you need to make another change.
- You're done!
How do I cancel my Berxi policy?
Below, you'll find step-by-step instructions for how to cancel your Berxi policy. If you're more of a visual learner, we've also provided you with a tutorial video that will walk you through the entire process from beginning to end.
How to Cancel Your Berxi Policy:
- Go to www.berxi.com.
- Click on the “Sign In” button in the top right-hand corner of your screen. That should take you to the “Sign In” page.
- Enter the email address and password you used to create your account and hit “Sign In.”
- Once you're on your account homepage, scroll down to the section called, “Policy Management,” and click “Cancel your policy.” This should take you to the "Policy Details" page.
- There, you should see a box that contains all your policy information. Click on the third blue button to the right that says, "Cancel Policy."
- Once you do that, a pop-up window will appear with a short, 3-question form for you to fill out. NOTE: You must fill out this form in order to officially cancel your policy.
- Your first step will be to select the date that you’d like to cancel your policy, also known as the “cancellation effective date.” You can either manually enter the date or you can select it from the blue calendar button. NOTE: You can’t pick a cancellation date that’s more than 15 days in the future.
- Once you select your cancellation date, you’ll see your credit card information appear at the bottom of the window. If a cancellation fee applies, you’ll see the amount that will be charged to your card. Likewise, if you’re eligible for a refund, you’ll see the amount that will be issued back to your card.
- Your next step will be to let us know why you’re canceling your policy. (Thanks in advance! This kind of feedback helps us make better products and experiences for our customers.) All you need to do is click on the black arrow and a drop-down menu will appear with a list of reasons to choose from. Take some time to review the list and pick the option that most closely matches your reason for canceling your policy.
- If you have any additional feedback you’d like to share, you can provide it in the last section of the form. Otherwise, you can leave it blank.
- Take a moment to review the information you’ve provided and make sure it’s all accurate. Once you’re done, click the “Cancel Policy” button in the bottom right-hand corner of the form.
- Another pop-up window will appear, confirming that your policy is set to cancel on the date you selected.
- Click the “OK” button to exit out of the window, and you’ll be taken back to the “Policy Details” page of your account.
- You should now see a red horizontal bar running across the top of the page that says, “This policy is currently pending cancellation.” You’ll also receive an email confirming the cancellation of your policy.
More questions? We’re here to help — you can check out the rest of our FAQs or send us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is the information that I submit on the Berxi.com website secure?
Berxi Policies & Coverage
Does Berxi offer general liability (GL) insurance?
Yes, we do offer general liability coverage in tandem with some of our professional liability offerings. For customers who are self-employed, we offer GL coverage as a simple add-on as part of our purchase process.
I'm a dental professional. What does my dental malpractice policy cover?
To get a better idea of what Berxi dental malpractice insurance would cover, take a look at the sample policies we've provided below. Make sure to choose the sample that represents the type of coverage you’re interested in (i.e., claims-made or occurrence).
I'm a healthcare professional. What does my medical malpractice policy cover?
To get a better idea of what Berxi medical malpractice insurance would cover, take a look at the sample malpractice policies we've provided below. Make sure to choose the sample that represents the type of coverage you’re interested in (i.e., claims-made or occurrence).
I work in the professional services industry. What does my E&O policy cover?
To get a better idea of what Berxi professional liability insurance would cover, take a look at the sample Berxi E&O policy we've provided below.
I’m a student. Do you offer coverage for me?
For healthcare professionals, we sure do. In fact, we figure you’ve got enough to worry about with paying for your education, so we offer significant discounts for our customers that are still in training.
I’m a traveling nurse. How do I get insurance if I work in different states?
On your application, simply select the state in which you primarily practice or do the majority of your work. Your Berxi policy follows you across all 50 states (and Washington D.C.), so work performed outside of the state where you primarily practice will be insured under your policy.**
** Quote and issuance of a policy are conditioned upon receipt and approval of the following 1) Practice Location; 2) Profession / Specialty; 3) Employment Status; 4) Coverage Type; 5) Hours Worked; and 6) Prior Claims Activity. Final pricing and terms of coverage may vary.
Do I need insurance if I work for a nurse staffing agency?
It’s a good idea to have your own dedicated malpractice policy, just as if you worked full-time at a hospital or clinic. Regardless, you’ll want to confirm if you have medical malpractice coverage through your staffing agency, or if it’s provided by the employer with whom you’re being placed. Then read your policy to make sure that you feel sufficiently covered. If you notice any gaps in coverage or lots of fine print, don’t forget that we’re here and can help you get additional coverage — plus that added peace of mind.
May I add a collaborating or overseeing physician to my medical malpractice policy?
Yes, you may name a collaborating physician as an additional insured on your policy as long as the physician also carries individual primary liability insurance. The additional insured endorsement on your policy would cover the physician only for vicarious liability caused by your actions. This endorsement will not extend primary coverage to the physician in the event a claim or lawsuit from the physician’s actions as a collaborating physician. This coverage extension will share your limits of liability with the physician associated with the covered incident. This type of coverage extension carries no additional charge, and you can request it be added after you purchase your policy.
How do I add a collaborating physician to my medical malpractice policy?
Berxi makes it easy to add a collaborating physician as an additional insured on your policy. To add an additional insured to your policy, please submit a request with the following information:
- The name of the collaborating physician
- The name of the collaborating physician’s business (if one exists)
- Proof of insurance for the collaborating physician (e.g., certificate of insurance (COI), declaration page, or ACORD form)
Click here to submit your request. A member of our team will update you within 1-2 business days.
How will Berxi manage a claim made against me?
One of the founding principles of Berxi and our parent company, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance, is that CLAIMS IS OUR PRODUCT™. We say this because servicing claims quickly and efficiently is the foundation of our business. When you need help with a claim, a dedicated in-house claims specialist will work with you until that claim is completed. And you can expect to hear from your dedicated claims adjuster within one business day of our receiving your “First Notice of Loss” form.
Many insurers handle claims on a round-robin basis in which customers work with a different team member each time they need help. Our claims approach helps us build trusted relationships with our customers — as does having a real Berxi teammate available whenever you have a question.
Will my dental malpractice policy have a deductible?
There are no annual or per-claim deductibles on a Berxi dental malpractice policy.
Will my dental malpractice policy cover any claim defense costs?
Yes, your Berxi policy covers defense costs such as attorneys’ fees, court costs, expert witness fees, investigative costs, and various other expenses associated with a legal defense. These costs are paid “outside the limits of liability,” which means they do not reduce your policy’s limits. Any settlement costs are paid separately from defense costs.
Will Berxi settle a dental malpractice claim without my permission?
Berxi's dental malpractice policy includes a consent to settle clause. This means that we will not commit to any settlement without your consent.
Do I have to be a member of a dental society to obtain Berxi insurance?
Membership in a dental association or society is not required for purchasing a Berxi dental malpractice policy. However, certain discounts are available to members of some professional organizations. You can see whether your membership applies when you request a quote.
How will I save money with a Berxi insurance policy?
Because we work directly with our customers and do not sell through brokers or middlemen, no hidden fees or commissions are tacked on to your premium. Berxi offers top-rated coverage at a price that’s hard to beat, which will save you an average of 15% annually.
My workplace already covers me. Do I still need my own liability insurance?
Regardless of whether you work in healthcare, insurance, or real estate, you should consider having your own liability insurance policy to protect your interests. Even if your employer provides coverage, here are four important things to consider:
- A fellow employee could submit a claim against you. Your company’s policy may exclude coverage for claims of one employee against another employee.
- If you’ve changed jobs and a claim is filed against you for actions while you were with your previous employer, your prior company's policy may no longer cover you.
- Your employer’s policy may not cover your lost wages that accrue while you attend legal proceedings.
- If a number of employees are named in the same claim, your employer’s policy may not have adequate limits to protect you and your fellow employees.
Having your own policy can help you feel more comfortable if a claim is filed against you. With your own policy, you’ll have access to your own legal representation, and the resources of the policy aren’t shared among multiple insureds.
Do I need professional liability coverage?
Well, there isn't really a short answer for this one. It depends on a number of things, including your profession and your tolerance for risk. We're all human and even the most detail-oriented professional is at risk of being sued directly or of being named in lawsuits. That's why we typically want broad, specialized professional liability coverage. Employer-provided coverage usually provides indemnity coverage for you, but it may be prudent to have your own supplemental insurance to avoid any potential conflicts and ensure that your best interests are always represented.
What limits of liability should I get?
The answer to this question will vary, depending on your profession and your practice state or jurisdiction. We've researched this and provided a guide in the quote process to highlight the “most common” limits of liability for you based on your profession and employment state selections.
What's the difference between claims-made policies and occurrence policies?
The Berxi medical malpractice policies for healthcare professionals offer both the claims-made and occurrence options. For non-healthcare professionals, the policies are all claims-made. Read on to learn more about these two terms:
- Claims-made policies protect you from incidents that occur, or allegedly occur, before the expiration of the policy period and after the retroactive date shown on the declarations — but only if the claim is first made against you during the policy period or extended reporting period, if applicable.
- Occurrence policies protect you from any covered incident that occurs during the policy period, regardless of when a claim is filed. You could report a claim years later for an incident that happened during the policy period.
COVID-19 NOTICE TO BERXI MEDICAL MALPRACTICE POLICYHOLDERS
We're following the COVID-19 developments closely and providing updates to frequently asked questions here.