As a physical therapist, you know your time is in extremely short supply. But you also know that you're working in an industry that's constantly evolving -- and sometimes at a rate that's faster than you can keep up with. So how do you make sure you're staying up-to-date on everything going on in your profession without falling behind?
Enter: Podcasts. Podcasts are a great way for busy, on-the-go professionals like yourself to learn, laugh, and keep up with current industry trends. And to help you find the cream of the crop, we listened, compared, and created this list of 15 of the best physical therapy podcasts to check out in 2020. Take a look at the list below and see if any catch your eye!
The Best Podcasts for Industry News & Trends
1. American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) Podcasts
- Listen On: APTA.org | Apple Podcasts | Spotify
- What It Covers: Associated with the APTA, this series of podcasts gives solid and consistent information in many areas of physical therapy. It’s full of straight-laced information with no adult language, so your kids can be in the car while you listen. This isn’t the podcast that will help you blow off steam after a difficult shift, but it’s informative and thorough, and tackles subjects like infant and child development, financial tips for PT students, and value-based care.
2. Move Forward Radio
- Listen On: Apple Podcasts | Spotify
- What It Covers: This is the first app that comes up when searching “physical therapy” on Apple Podcasts, so you know it’s current and popular. The APTA produces this podcast from ChoosePT.com, a website created for PT patients to stay updated on the latest trends in the field and get the specific kind of relief they need. That said, this podcast covers a range of topics that appeal to patients and practitioners alike. In fact, some of the more recent topics they covered might inspire your daily practice and include discussing the benefits of exercise during pregnancy, the role of physical therapy on “Dancing With the Stars,” and how PT combined with pilates helped a man with Crohn’s disease.
3. Pain Reframed
- Listen On: Apple Podcasts | Pain Reframed Podcast Website | PlayerFM
- What It Covers: This podcast is described as being “about pain and how pain is managed in our society.” Specifically, experts talk about how to reduce unnecessary suffering through physical therapy. Doctors Tim Flynn and Jeff Moore host the show and invite guests from the medical and psychological fields to talk pain management and a PT’s role in dealing with that pain. Some topics include “A Professional Violinist’s Pain Journey” and “DPT Student + Pain Patient.”
4. The Ask Mike Reinold Show
- Listen On: Apple Podcasts | MikeReinold.com | Spotify | Stitcher
- What It Covers: Weekly episodes of this podcast answer listeners’ questions about fitness, sports performance, career advice, and more. Reinold is also a baseball fan, so you’ll hear some of the latest baseball talk and news as well. He gets together with his PT team in Boston (Champion Physical Therapy and Performance) to produce this weekly podcast to “help people feel better, move better, and perform better.” Candid talk episodes include topics like, “Should Physical Therapy Clinics Have Productivity Standards” and tips for regaining full-knee extension post-surgery.
5. PT Inquest
- Listen On: Apple Podcasts | PlayerFM | PTPodcast.com
- What It Covers: PT Inquest is described as an online journal club. With two hosts, J.W. Matheson and Erik Meira, this show takes a close look at a different published medical article every week. The hosts discuss ways to apply the best physical therapy techniques in real-life, day-to-day recovery scenarios. They also cover topics that are particularly relevant for specific types of PT practices, including orthopedic therapy, sports recovery, and those that treat patients with chronic pain. PT Inquest listeners love the way the show teaches critical thinking skills and stays on top of current trends.
The Best Podcasts for Physical Therapy Students & New Grads
6. NPTE Studycast
- Listen On: Apple Podcasts | Spotify
- What It Covers: This podcast is geared toward PT students and helps them squeeze in some extra study time with “test prep on the go.” All topics are considered study guides for specific subjects, such as ACL tears, Alzheimer’s Disease, frozen shoulder, and cerebral palsy. If you search through the archives, you’ll find test-specific episodes like “NPTE Structure & Scoring” and “How Do I Register for the NPTE?”
- Listen On: Anchor | Apple Podcasts | Stitcher
- What It Covers: GRADitude is a podcast meant to inspire, educate, and empower PT graduate students by capturing valuable insights through the experiences of current students, recent graduates, and experienced health professionals. Episode topics include cannabis for physical therapy, the benefits of dance therapy, and getting through the cadaver lab. The podcast also provides a great amount of information on topics like managing student loan debt and reflecting on your first year of PT school.
8. Duck Legs Podcast
- Listen On: Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher
- What It Covers: Hosted by physiotherapy students looking for knowledge from already-successful professionals, the theme of this podcast stems from a quote by Jacob Braude: “Always behave like a duck. Keep calm and unruffled on the surface, but paddle like the devil underneath.” True to its name, this show goes “beneath the surface” and discusses the kinds of tips and tools listeners need in order to overcome the challenges of working in the physical therapy field. This podcast is equal parts funny and informative, and is big on speaking in plain English. That said, the language is definitely explicit and not work appropriate.
The Best Podcast for Physical Therapy Business Owners
9. The Physical Therapy Business School Podcast
- Listen On: Apple Podcasts | PaulGough.com | SoundCloud
- What It Covers: The Physical Therapy Business School Podcast is dedicated to helping PTs become successful business owners. As such, its episodes are heavy on call-in questions and inspirational testimonials from other professionals in the field. The host, Paul Gough, is a former full-time PT for professional UK soccer players who turned his small practice into a successful business. On his show, Gough shares everything he knows about moving from a full-time PT to a successful business owner. Listeners rave about this podcast for the confidence boost it gives them as they pave their way to starting their own PT business, as well as for the insights they get to solve their business problems. They love to listen to Gough’s interviews with like-minded PTs and use the information they glean from each episode to guide them through the challenges they face in taking their own practices to the next level.
The Best Podcasts for Pediatric Physical Therapy Specialists
10. The Working Therapist: A Podcast With Haden Boliek
- Listen On: Apple Podcasts | Stitcher | TheWorkingTherapist.com
- What It Covers: Haden Boliek founded Pediatric Developmental Therapy (PDT) with a focus on providing quality speech, occupational, and physical therapy services to children. As part of her mission, Boliek uses her podcast to provide other therapists and parents with the tools and strategies they need to bring healthy therapeutic principles into the home. Episodes include “Promoting Head Control in Infants” and “Moving From Meltdowns to Single Words.”
11. Pediatric Physical Therapy Podcast
- Listen On: Apple Podcasts | The Pediatric PT Website
- What It Covers: Also hosted by the APTA and the Journal of Pediatric Physical Therapy, this 30-to-45-minute podcast focuses on everything from pain relief to structured exercise and bungee trampolining for children with cerebral palsy. The hosts — or co-authors, as they’re called — change from episode to episode, and the PT interviewees discuss new research and findings from some of the top universities and health clinics around the country.
The Best Podcasts for Senior Rehab Specialists
12. GEROS Health
- Listen On: Apple Podcasts | PlayerFM | Senior Rehab Website | Stitcher
- What It Covers: This podcast was created for PTs who specialize in senior rehab and offers “practical information” to help those practitioners better serve their patients. Industry leaders join regular hosts to review the latest news and trends in the field; topics include “Get Stronger, Walk Faster,” learning more about degenerative disc disease, dealing with the issue of balance, and a discussion of whether the phrase “OK Boomer” is “ageist, offensive, or funny.”
The Best Podcasts for Sports Physical Therapy Specialists
13. Therapy Insiders Podcast
- Listen On: Apple Podcasts | PlayerFM
- What It Covers: Hosted by Gene Shirokobrod PT, DPT, OMPT, Joe Palmer PT, DPT, OMPT, CSCS and Erson Religioso III, DPT, MS, MTC, CertMDT, CFC, CSCS, FMT, FAAOMPT, this podcast is geared toward practitioners who specialize in sports rehab and medicine and aims to “separate the fluff from useful relevant information” so listeners can gain valuable insider perspectives on what’s new and important in the world of clinical practice settings. The episodes feature different PT professionals and have them weigh in on tips, techniques, and trends in the field. Previous topics include burnout in physical therapy, how to systematically deal with stress, and entrepreneurship as a contact sport.
14. The Sports Performance Podcast
- Listen On: Apple Podcasts | Soundcloud | Spotify | Stitcher
- What It Covers: The Sports Performance Podcast explores all aspects of fitness, sports rehabilitation, and enhancing athletic performance. The hosts, Dr. Chris Garcia and his performance team at Sports Performance Physical Therapy in San Diego, started this podcast to help athletes stay healthy and continue to be active without injury, so they use this podcast to deliver the latest information on preventing workout injuries, pain relief, and improving performance. Their weekly episodes feature interviews with a variety of strength and conditioning coaches, sports PTs, and industry professionals. Listeners think this podcast is full of information on the latest techniques and describe it as a great listen for beginners and experienced athletes.
15. Sports Rehab Success Show
- Listen On: Apple Podcasts | PlayerFM | Spotify | Stitcher
- What It Covers: This podcast focuses on helping sports clinicians and performance coaches by combining tips on physical therapy, athletic training, chiropractic practices, and personal training. By growing their knowledge within their area of focus — and others — the goal is to help sports therapists and coaches have a meaningful impact on their clients’ lives. Listeners love the different guests and variety of subjects this podcast covers. With episodes like “Bench Press Tips for Healthy Shoulders” and “Favorite Low Back Pain Exercises,” this podcast provides invaluable information that can help PTs better serve their patients in sessions and athletes become more knowledgeable about the types of exercises they’re doing.
Originally published on September 10, 2019.
Updated by Lauren Garcia on February 11, 2020.